Monday, October 31, 2011

Fall Festival Part I

I try to stay home as much as possible.  It's no surprise to anyone who knows me.  I'm also a bit of a vampire.  I could live without lights very easily.  Because of these things, when events come around, I purpose myself to take the boys out...in sunlight...for some fun.  Even if it means I'm likely to have regrets at the end of the day (nothing long term, of course).

Yesterday was Trick or Treating at the Arboretum.  We went with a group of my favorite adults and their little people. 

Here's what I learned from this experience (as a single mom):

  • My 3 year old listens better than I give him credit
  • My 1 year old does not
  • My 1 year old can fit 3/4 of a hot dog in his mouth at once, and then chew it like gum for 10 minutes
  • Girls are sweet and uninterested in doing more than observing the scenery
  • Boys wants to see how the scenery was constructed - including dismantling it to get a better look
  • Boys like the challenge of picking up the pumpkins as big as they are...and then throwing them. 
  • Girls like to look at water sprinkling statues
  • Boys must get wet.  And they must go through the water twice if they don't sufficiently saturate their clothes
  • My 1 year old doesn't like the stroller
  • My 3 year old likes to taunt the little one with his ability to walk and not be in the stroller, thus reminding the little one he does not like the stroller
  • A 1 year old on my shoulders means milk in my hair.
  • A 3 year old on my shoulders means I'll be sweating while receiving a shoulder massage.
  • Candy is a great bargaining chip
  • And most importantly...I have wonderful friends!  

Thanks for the great time, folks!