Sunday, November 20, 2011

Facilitate Love

I was reminded recently just how important it is for the parent/child relationship of the non-custodial parent to remain in tact as long as possible.  As the custodial parent, it falls upon me to facilitate - especially since my children are still so young.  I'm not saying it's easy.  It's one of the most difficult things I do every month.  And I can't see the payoff every time because I'm not, necessarily, the one who receives it.  Believe me when I say...there's a payoff.   And there's a price for all if it doesn't happen.

I know women who are unwilling to faciliate time between the non-custodial parent and child or children.  I know it personally.  I long for something different.  I attempt to reach out to mom in hopes family ties will matter and draw them to us, but it's an uphill battle.  I can't imagine what it must be like for grandparents to not see their grands.  And then there's dad.  I think moms in this situation find it easy to justify keeping the kids from "him"...he who could only teach my children bad behaviors.  It's unfair and inaccurate.  Love is the most important part of the equation.  Short-sighted ex-spouses seem to forget that while love may not be in the adult relationship any longer, the parent/child relationship doesn't need to lose it.  In fact, the children have more to gain and so much more to lose without it.

If you have children with someone, please make certain shared time is available.  See your ex, if necessary, and be kind.  Remember, it's not just about you and your hurts.  Take the time your children are with their other parent to heal. 

Faciliate Love.